Despite the seemingly constant presence of high-profile injuries, the New York Yankees hold a six-game lead in the AL East. That is a testament to the impressive nature of the team's work this season but, on Tuesday evening, yet another injury concern came to light, with high-profile slugger Giancarlo Stanton leaving New York's 4-3 win over the Toronto Blue Jays with what the team called a right knee contusion.
"At this point," Yankees manager Aaron Boone told the media following the contest. "I'm hoping bone bruise and I think (Wednesday) will be a better indictor. (When) he comes in, are we dealing with swelling and that kind of thing? We can evaluate it better then."
Stanton recently returned from a lengthy absence and, overall, the 29-year-old has missed 68 games during the first half of the season. He reportedly suffered the injury while on the base paths during the first inning and, while initial buzz from New York includes an optimistic tone in advance of an MRI, another stint on the injured list would be brutal for both player and team.
"Eventually he'll get into a good place if we're able to avoid a serious injury here," said Boone. "I'm not worried about it, because there is plenty of time to start playing and get in that rhythm that we feel like he's starting to get into."
If Stanton is forced to miss time, the Yankees could turn to myriad options -- including Mike Tauchman or Clint Frazier from Triple-A -- but none of New York's internal candidates can match the explosive potential of Stanton's bat. Stanton smashed 38 home runs in his first season with the Yankees in 2018 and, despite a late, injury-plagued start, he already reminded the club of his immense power with a home run earlier this week.
At present, the Yankees face 4-1 odds to win the 2019 World Series.