One week after missing the cut at the PGA Championship, Tiger Woods announced his next two starts on the PGA Tour: next week's Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village in Dublin, Ohio, and the U.S. Open on June 13-16 at Pebble Beach Golf Links in Pebble Beach, Calif.
"Ohio next week for the @MemorialGolf, then Pebble for the @usopengolf," Woods said on Twitter. "Looking forward to getting out there again."
The announcement came as no surprise and is consistent with his schedule from his years on Tour. When healthy, Woods has never missed the Memorial, a tournament that he has won five times (1999, 2000, '01, '09 and '12) and is hosted by Jack Nicklaus. In last year's tournament, he finished 23rd, six strokes behind winner Bryson DeChambeau.
Woods will skip the following Tour event -- the Canadian Open, a tournament he hasn't played since 2001 -- to prepare for the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach, which is the site of arguably the most impressive victory of his 81 career wins. In 2000, Woods won the U.S. Open by a record 15 strokes, finishing at 12-under when no one else could even break par. Earlier that year he won the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, which is also played on the picturesque oceanside course.
The 15-time major winner and reigning Masters champion is coming off a missed cut at the PGA Championship at Bethpage Black in Farmingdale, N.Y. Paired with eventual champion Brooks Koepka for the first two rounds, Woods shot 5-over to miss the cut by a stroke. It was only his eighth missed cut in a major as a professional.
Immediately after missing the cut, Woods was optimistic about the state of his game.
"Yeah, there's no reason why I can't get up to speed again and crank it back up," he said. "I've got to start feeling a little bit better first before that happens. We'll do that first and then start cranking it back up again."